Last week I got to visit my best friend Jessica in Boston and meet her sweet new baby girl. Jessica and I are both foodies. We could talk about food for hours and love to cook together. We made some delicious meals while I was in town and this salad was one of them!
We just threw together a little of everything she had on hand and it turned out so delicious, I knew I had to recreate it for my husband when I got home! Like this dish, I love a good dinner salad. My husband was also a huge fan. The flavorful meat paired with the tart blackberries, sweet apples, and caramelized sweet potatoes is a stellar combination. It rivals many of my most beloved salads at our favorite restaurants. I'm sure we will be making this again and again!
Steak, Roasted Sweet Potato, and Blackberry Salad
For the steak:
1 lb flank steak
1/3 cup Worcestershire sauce
1/3 cup olive oil
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1 tablespoon honey
1 tsp garlic salt
For the sweet potatoes:
2 small or 1 medium sweet potato, cut into very small cubes
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon brown sugar (or coconut palm sugar)
1/2 teaspoon salt
For the dressing:
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
4 tablespoons olive oil
2 teaspoons honey
1 teaspoon garlic salt
1 teaspoon dijon mustard
For the rest of the salad:
1 apple, diced
1/2 cup blackberries
1/3 cup thinly sliced red onions (sometimes I soak these in red wine vinegar for 15 minutes then drain before add them to the salad)
1/3 cup feta cheese
6 cups of mixed greens
1. For the steak - Place all the ingredients for the in a bag or swallow dish. Marinate for at least 2 hours and up to 24 hours.
2. For the sweet potatoes - Preheat the oven to 400. Toss the sweet potatoes with the olive oil, brown sugar, and salt. Bake for 15-20 minutes until fork tender (the potatoes won't take long to cook since they are supposed to be small cubes). Cool to room temperature.
3. For the dressing - place all the ingredients in a jar and shake to combine.
4. When you're ready to eat remove the steak from the marinate and grill (I used a grill pan) until browned and medium rare, 7 to 8 minutes per side. Transfer to a cutting board, tent with foil, and let rest for 10 minutes. Carve steak into thin slices.
5. Toss the steak, roasted sweet potatoes, and the rest of the salad ingredients with 2 tablespoons or so of the dressing. Add more dressing if desired and serve.